Support Due The Teacher
The ARD Committee must consider supplementary aids and services that would allow the student to achieve education goals in a regular classroom. State Board of Education criteria says, “Token efforts will not suffice when determining whether a student’s goals can be achieved in the regular classroom. The district is obligated to provide reasonable support necessary for the student to attain the goals.” Every classroom teacher should memorize these words. This is the basis of all rights and help for teachers. However, teachers should not assume that the district will provide them with costly supplementary aids and services. If you don’t ask, you likely will not receive.
Types of Supplementary Aids And Services That Can Be Provided:
If a teacher has a student who needs more help than is initially provided, the teacher must initiate the request for help and justify with good records the reason for the request. When a regular classroom teacher alone cannot adequately address the needs of a special student, then supplementary aids and services can be provided by, or with the assistance of, special educators supporting regular classroom instruction. These aids and services include, but are not limited to the following:
- itinerant and consulting teachers helping regular classroom teachers by providing taped texts, highlighted texts, study sheets, repeated review, drill, calculators, sign language interpreters, defined behavioral limits, cooling off periods, positive reinforces, special equipment
- content mastery
- team teaching
- consultation with special education personnel including instructional supervisor, diagnostician, psychologist, or teacher
- modeling of behaviors for working with students with disabilities
- demonstrations of instructional techniques
- help producing specially designed instructional materials; help designing special assessment/ testing techniques;
- visits to model programs in other school districts; background information ondisabilities;
- assistance from paraprofessionals
- resource room.